This article covers how to quickly set up your computer (running Windows) as a server.
We’ll be using apache: very popular, free, open source server software.
While making your computer into a server will be very quick, you should read through the Apache http server software documentation to learn about how to set it up securely (so that people don’t hack into your computer). I’ll give this advice but read elsewhere for more:
1) best to install this server software on an old computer that you don’t use for anything other than as a server.
2) best to create a seperate user account in windows with limited system access and install this software in that account.
- Download the latest release of the Apache web server with an .msi extension.
- Run the installer.
- When presented with the option, make sure to install the Apache service.
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the Apache bin directory under C:\Program Files\Apache Group.
- Run the service.
- httpd -k start